Thursday 20 October 2016

Blogtober - another post and more gelli printing ......

I can see now that the reason I gave up on posting to my blog in 2012 is because Gelli Plates hadn't been invented! It would seem that most of my time is spent pouring gallons of paint on my plates and pulling zillions of prints. Of course there are times when I get side-tracked with Brushos and similar products and yes, I have a humongous box of those as well, but they do all come out and get used as backgrounds ........ eventually!

Today I am sharing a tag I made for a swap using the packing tape transfer technique. Paint and inks etc are layered up on the gelli plate and what you see in front of you is what you get as your end result. Once you are happy with the way the design looks you leave it to dry and then use wide clear packing tape to pull the print and immediately place it down on paper/book pages/music score etc. (There are several YouTube tutorials on doing this technique). You do need to leave some clear patches in the design so that the sticky on the tape can actually stick to the paper. I have tried using gel medium to glue it down but it wasn't as successful as leaving the clear spaces.



As you can see, I used the paint left on the plate after pulling the print to make up another similar sheet (paper, not clear tape) which I used for the back of the tag. I also made a little pocket for a mini tag to sit in.





Close up of front of tag



I made this tag with 1.5" wide tape but a lady in the group this was made for has suggested using a roll of clear book covering. I have now purchased a roll so next time will be able to pull a print off the whole plate rather than having to do it in sections and try, not extremely successfully, to piece it together!

As usual, don't forget to click on the Blogtober button to see what everyone else has been up to lately.




1 comment:

  1. they are great backgrounds, I don't know if I would be brave enough to try the technique!!

    ReplyDelete